Past, Present and Future

Fun / Food / History

Olde Towne Depot

The Olde Town Depot rests under the shade of trees lining the rails upon which trains currently pass and anchors the Olde Towne District to the east. Our story begins in the 1831 when the State of Mississippi granted a charter for the construction of thirty miles of rail connecting the growing towns of Clinton and Vicksburg, with movement of cotton to the River City being of primary importance to the economy of the area. Clinton’s historic record shows that multiple depot buildings were constructed and later replaced. In the spring of 1863, federal troops burned the first depot and destroyed nearby tracks. The July 1879 Hinds County Gazette reported that transportation by rail was active in Clinton with three trains passing through the town daily. Railroad agent and telegraph operator John Fox welcomed passengers arriving at a depot located at the north end of Jefferson Street.

Quisenberry Public Library Walk of Honorees

The city of Clinton has been home to several noteworthy individuals: Lance Bass, Barry Hannah, Ted DiBiase Sr. & Jr., Wyatt Waters...the list goes on. The achievements of these extraordinary people are put on display at the Walk of Honorees. Located behind the Quisenberry Public Library, this historic trail recounts the triumphant feats of these artists, entertainers, athletes, and more who have all called Clinton home at some point. If you’re curious about our city’s history, or some of our most remarkable Clintonians, then look no further than the scenic Walk of Honorees.

303 Jefferson

Enjoy fine, Southern food served by friendly folks. 303 Jefferson serves delicious daily blue plate specials, great steaks, and seafood.

This spot has been a gathering place since the 1870s. The location was first built as a livery stable by Capt. William Lewis, a surviving member of Mississippi College's Civil War regiment. Later it became a service station that Charles Lindbergh fueled a plane. In the 1930s it became Clinton Hardware, a family-run business that ran until the 1970s.

Historic Brick Streets

Walter Hillman